604 Now

Dog Owner To Sue City of North Vancouver After Dog Was Electrocuted On Sidewalk

North Vancouver

Photo: Kamila Wk

A North Vancouver dog owner has filed a lawsuit against the City after her dog, Coby, was accidentally electrocuted on the sidewalk.

While she and her husband were out on a walk with Coby, a 7-year-old mixed-breed, Coby reportedly stepped over a grate that was above a junction box.

Coby, according to the owner, yelped, jumped, and died.

“The plaintiff Ushiroji and a bystander attempted to resuscitate Coby, but they were unsuccessful. Coby had already died”, the lawsuit reads.

RELATED: 6 Easy Tips To Help Your Dog Get Through The Hot Vancouver Summer

The Lawsuit

The incident originally occurred in February 2018, near Lonsdale Quay loading bay.

The civil lawsuit filed recently was in the Supreme Court of British Columbia. Named as defendants in the lawsuit was the City of North Vancouver, FortisBC, and also Cobra Electric Ltd., who was working in the area at the time.

Making matters worse for the defendants is that this area allegedly has a history of this. Two similar, but non-fatal, incidents occurred within that one year, including one just a day before Coby’s.

The plaintiffs claim that the defendants neglected to take steps that could have prevented this, such as signage with warnings.

RELATED: Experience An Art Exhibition Featuring Portraits of Dogs, With Your Dog

Rebeka Breder, an animal rights lawyer, is representing the couple. Talking to The Province, she noted the trauma the incident has caused on the owners.

“This dog really meant everything to them. Coby was a son to them. They don’t have any children and Coby was a son to them. To see your own son, so to speak, be electrocuted in front of your own eyes, is traumatizing to say the least.”

Note: The dog in the photo for this article is not Coby.

For more local British Columbia news, stay tuned to our News section.


Log in or create an account to save content

Become a local insider