The MS Roald Amundsen, the world’s first electric-hybrid cruise ship was recently revealed and it’s quite the sight to behold.
The beautifully-designed vessel belongs to Hurtigruten, a Norwegian cruise and cargo ship operator, and it’s set a milestone in the field of environmentally-sustainable ships.
The MS Roald Amundsen features state-of-the-art electrical propulsion technology that reduces the vessel’s fuel consumption and CO2 emissions by up to 20%.
Electric vehicles and sustainable technology is trending around the globe. Electric vehicles sales in British Columbia have spiked in recent years. In addition, an all-Tesla ride-hailing company is on its way to Metro Vancouver, as well as an all-electric car-sharing service.
Electric-powered boats were inevitable. However, while the technology of the MS Roald Amundsen is impressive, the amenities of the cruise ship are equally, if not more, impressive.
The World’s 1st Electric-Hybrid Cruise Ship
The MS Roald Amundsen features:
- Two-Floor Indoor-Outdoor Observation Deck
- Science Center
- Explorer Lounge
- Gym & Wellness Center
- Hot Tub
- Infinity Pool
Here’s a peak inside:
Furthermore, of course, this electric-hybrid cruise ship also features several restaurants, including:
- Aune Main Dining, named after the Norwegian ship chandler and polar expedition supplier Tinus Aune.
- Fredheim – the ships’ informal and social meeting place – named after a 1900s hunting station on Svalbard.
- Lindstrøm, a speciality restaurant named after Adolf Lindstrøm, the favorite chef of the Norwegian polar heroes.
And last but certainly not least, the rooms where you’ll be sleeping, which come in a few different varieties.
- XL Suite w/ Balcony
- XL Suite
- L Suite w/ Balcony
- Suite w/ Balcony
- Corner Suite w/ Balcony
- Corner Suite
- Arctic Superior Cabin
- Outside Cabin w/ Balcony
- Outside Cabin – Lower/Middle Deck
- Polar Outside Cabin
The MS Roald Amundsen is expected to dock in the Port of Vancouver this Friday, September 27th.
We just have one question: Permission to come aboard?
All photos via Hurtigruten.
For more great places to explore and things to do, check out our Travel & Outdoors section.
You Might Also Like:
- South Britannia Surf Park In B.C. Could Become The Whistler For Surfing
- Hidden Between B.C. & Alberta Is A Beautiful & Relaxing Glacial-Blue Hot Pool
- Take A Dip In One Of BC’s Most Picturesque Infinity Pools
Get more 604, delivered to your inbox
Plan your next night out, enter contests, and stay connected.