A new report by BC Hydro finds that when it comes to heating the home, British Columbian couples are at odds.
The report had 4 in 10 couples admitting to arguing over the temperature.
The report titled ‘Thermostat wars: How the battle over household temperature is turning up the heat on relationships’ found that while arguments about the temperature are common across the province, five per cent of couples describe their situation as an “all-out thermostat war”.
- ICBC Reports Staggering $860M Net Loss In First 9 Months Of Fiscal Year
- Vancouver Weather Forecast Calls For Damaging Winds & Blowing Snow Friday
A survey commissioned by BC Hydro found that “British Columbian couples will go to great lengths to get their way when it comes to temperature of their home, and twice as many are motivated by comfort than cost savings” reads a statement.
More than “60 percent admitted to adjusting the thermostat when their partner was not looking and 50 percent say they have waited for their partner to leave the home before adjusting the dial” continues the statement.
The survey also included another 20 percent of couples “that admit to turning the temperature up or down just to annoy their partner”.
BC Hydro’s survey also states that many of these arguments are often based around misconceptions, for example:
- Cranking up the thermostat does not heat the home up faster than turning it up a degree or two at a time.
- It is not more energy-efficient to keep the thermostat at a constant temperature instead of adjusting it based on the time of day or what activity is going on in the home.
- Turning on a space heater is not always a more energy-efficient way to keep warm.
In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, BC Hydro is asking couples to be peaceful. The electric utility company recommends setting the thermostat at:
- 21 degrees Celsius when relaxing or watching T.V.
- 18 degrees Celsius when cooking or doing housework
- 16 degrees Celsius when away from home or sleeping
Stay warm folks, but please keep it civil.
Get more 604, delivered to your inbox
Plan your next night out, enter contests, and stay connected.