Sears Canada announced today that it is officially planning to close down all of its locations across Canada.
It applied to have court approval for all of its remaining assets to be liquidated by the middle of this month.
Sears Canada Closes After 65 Years
In business for over 65 years, Sears was once a thriving leader in Canadian retail. It also employs thousands of employees across the country, and many people will become jobless as a result of the move.
Last year it announced in February that it was closing eight locations, four of which were in British Columbia locations. The locations that closed were located in Richmond, Langley, Abbotsford, and Victoria.
These locations were considered non-profitable for the retail giant, and it claimed the closures were strategic business moves; however, the move was ultimately not enough to save the struggling enterprise.
Current Locations in British Columbia:
- Metropolis at Metrotown, Burnaby
- Brentwood Town Centre, Burnaby
- Capilano Mall, North Vancouver
- Guilford Town Centre, Surrey
- Coquitlam Centre, Coquitlam
- Sevenoaks Shopping Centre, Abbotsford
- Nanaimo North Town Centre, Nanaimo
- Hillside Shopping Centre, Victoria
- Willowbrook Shopping Cenre, Langley
- Pine Centre Mall, Prince George
- Orchard Park Shopping Centre, Kelowna
If the hearing is approved on Friday, the stores will begin to slowly close down starting on October 19th.
Get more 604, delivered to your inbox
Plan your next night out, enter contests, and stay connected.