While shopping for a new pair of boots, a man felt a sharp prick on his foot – only to realize there was a used syringe in it.
Chris Turner was shopping at a Value Village in New Westminster, Sunday, when it happened.
When he felt the prick on his foot, he said he “just froze,” before pulling the item out of the boot.
“I reached into the boot because I knew there was something in there and I pulled out a syringe and, as soon as I pulled it out, I looked and I just dropped it,” Turner told Global News.
He immediately went to the hospital, where they said he would need several blood tests over the year. He’d have to be tested for HIV, Hepatitis C and Hepatitis B.
Luckily, the risk of catching a disease this way is unlikely.
There have only been about five incidents of spreading Hepatitis B and C through used needles since 2018, according to the Canadian Paediatric Society. And there are no cases of HIV spreading this way.
Turner is fine for now, but said he has been worried.
The manager of the store apologized for the incident and Value Village released a statement.
“Our store team has been briefed on the incident, and we’re in the process of gathering additional information as the safety of our shoppers is of utmost importance,” said spokesperson Sara Gaugl.
For more metro Vancouver news, stayed tuned to our News section.
You Might Also Like:
- How One Typo Led To A Legal Fight Over $20,000 & A New West Condo Sale
- How Many Noise Complaints Is Too Many? For One Burnaby Hookah Lounge, It’s 119
- Olympic Medalist Offers To Row Greta Thunberg To Victoria When She’s In BC