Heads up drivers! Starting this summer, the BC Government has announced speed cameras will be implemented at 35 intersections across the Lower Mainland.
The province will be installing new warning signs and activate technology to ticket the registered owners of vehicles entering these intersections well over the posted limit on a red, yellow or green light.
- New Pedestrian Walkway Will Connect Metrotown SkyTrain Station To The Mall
- These Are The Most Dangerous Intersections In Metro Vancouver
- Speed Cameras Are Coming To 35 Metro Vancouver Intersections Beginning Today
As a result, ignoring new, prominent warning signs and flying through one of British Columbia’s highest-risk intersections soon will lead to an automated speeding ticket.
This is a a road safety approach that has been “proven to cut speeds and tragic outcomes elsewhere”.
Between 2012 and 2016, Safety Camera (ISC) program sites in B.C. reported an average of 10,500 vehicles a year going at least 30 kilometres per hour over the posted speed limit. This was detected by red-light cameras, which also monitor vehicle speeds.
“We have a record number of crashes happening – more than 900 a day in our province – and about 60% of the crashes on our roads are at intersections,” said Mike Farnworth, Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General.
To further discourage high speeds at these 35 locations, the provincial government and the police will not share the speed threshold that will trigger the new cameras.
The speed cameras will be located in the following intersections:
- Route 11 at Lonzo Road
- Kingsway at Boundary Road
- Kingsway at Royal Oak Avenue
- Willingdon at Deer Lake
- Barnet Highway at Mariner Way
- Nordel Way at 84th Avenue
- Harvey Avenue at Cooper Road
- Highway 97 North at Banks Road
- 200th Street at 64th Avenue
- Route 10 at Fraser Highway
- Lougheed Highway at 207th Avenue
- Island Highway at Aulds Road
- Marine Drive at Capilano Road
- Lougheed Highway at Old Dewdney Trunk Road
- Lougheed Highway at Shaughnessy Street
- Garden City Road at Cambie Road
- 128th Street at 88th Avenue
- 152nd Street at 96th Avenue
- 152nd Street at King George Boulevard
- 64th Avenue at 152nd Street
- 96th Avenue at 132nd Street
- King George Boulevard at 104th Avenue
- King George Boulevard at 80th Avenue
- Boundary Road at East 49th Avenue
- East Hastings Street at Main Street
- East Hastings Street at Renfrew Street
- Grandview Highway at Rupert Street
- Granville Street at West King Edward Avenue
- Kingsway at Joyce Street
- Kingsway at Victoria Drive
- Knight Street at East 33rd Avenue
- Oak Street at West 57th Avenue
- Oak Street at West 70th Avenue
- Southeast Marine Drive at Kerr Street
- West Georgia Street at Cardero Street
Get more 604, delivered to your inbox
Plan your next night out, enter contests, and stay connected.