The City of Burnaby is replacing the CG Brown Memorial Pool and Burnaby Lake Arena with a brand new recreation centre.
The new aquatic and rec centre will be located on the same site at 3676 Kensington Avenue. The facility is being designed to better meet the growing community’s needs. It’s also expected to provide a high-quality visitor experience and sports complex that will entertain well into the future.
About The Facility
HCMA will be designing the new facility. They have previously designed the Killarney Community Pool and Hillcrest Centre in Vancouver, the new Minoru Centre for Active Living in Richmond, among others.
What Will Be Inside?
- a destination-sized aquatic centre with
- 50 m competition pool with 8 lanes
- 25m pool, a leisure pool, and a family-sized hot pool
- grandstand seating capacity for 750 spectators, including 550 in an upper seating area and 200 on-deck
- with space for additional temporary spectator seating during large scale competitions.
- a leisure and wellness zone, sauna and steam rooms
- a NHL-sized ice rink with 5 change rooms and grandstand seating for 200 spectators
- reception areas and a café
- sports hall of fame display area
- indoor and outdoor social areas
- public art
- vehicle parking both on the surface and underground
Construction is scheduled to begin in 2022 for a completion sometime in 2023.
A Glimpse of The Future Burnaby Lake Recreation Centre
The city is currently seeking public input on the design and concept. Residents are being asked to take part in an online survey open until June 20, 2021.
For more Metro Vancouver news and updates, check out our News section.
Get more 604, delivered to your inbox
Plan your next night out, enter contests, and stay connected.