On Wednesday, January 4, 10 fire halls across the city of Vancouver will be distributing free salt to residents between 9:00 am and 8:00 pm.
Supply will be limited, so residents are asked to take only as much as they need. Residents are also asked to bring their own bucket(s) and shovel(s), with a maximum of two buckets per household or business.
City officials and fire crews are hoping to provide enough salt to help people clear their sidewalks and driveways.
- Arctic-Like Weather Has Vancouverites Skating On The Streets
- Snowy Weather Forces Closure of Port Mann HOV Lanes Until Further Notice
In return for the free salt, people are asked to consider making a donation to local charities.
Vancouver fire halls offering free salt on January 4, 2017:
- Fire Hall #3 – 2801 Quebec Street
- Fire Hall #4 – 1475 W. 10th Avenue
- Fire Hall #7 – 1090 Haro Street
- Fire Hall #12 – 2460 Balaclava Street
- Fire Hall #13 – 4013 Prince Albert Street
- Fire Hall #14 – 2804 Venables Street
- Fire Hall #15 – 3003 E. 22nd Avenue
- Fire Hall #17 – 7070 Knight Street
- Fire Hall #19 – 4396 W. 12th Avenue
- Fire Hall #22 – 1005 W. 59th Avenue
Whether you decide to pick-up the free salt or not, it’s advised you should clean up around your property immediately.
The city of Vancouver has currently employed additional staff to enforce clean-up warnings and fines.
Fines start at $75.
Get more 604, delivered to your inbox
Plan your next night out, enter contests, and stay connected.