Transit ridership in Metro Vancouver set a new record in October, with more people riding transit than ever before.
There were 39.65 million boardings on Translink services last month. This includes the bus, SkyTrain, HandyDART, SeaBus and West Coast Express.
While ridership has been growing every month, TransLink has never surpassed the stand-alone record of 39.2 million boardings in February 2010 when Vancouver welcomed the world for the Winter Olympics – that is until now.
- Parking Lot Crashes Spike Every December, Warns ICBC
- Free Parking Has Been Approved For Surrey Memorial Hospital And City Hall
“At TransLink, our focus is on delivering transit service improvements for our customers through the Mayors’ 10-Year Vision,” said TransLink CEO Kevin Desmond.
“It’s great to see this kind of ridership growth, one sign that customers are responding to better transit service right across the region”.
Metro Vancouver Transit Ridership Figures
- Bus: Average weekday boardings are up 10.5% year over year
- SkyTrain: Expo and Millennium Line average weekday boardings are up 7.7% and average
weekday boardings for Canada Line increased by 7.0% year-over-year
- SeaBus: Average weekday boardings increased by 9.3% year-over-year
- West Coast Express: Average weekday boardings are up 12.6% year-over-year
- HandyDART: Average weekday boardings are up 9.1% year-over-year
This increase in transit ridership shows how important future projects are and how Phase Two of the Mayors’ Council’s 10-Year Vision will help further develop the region. It’ll include:
- The Millennium Line Broadway Extension in Vancouver and Rapid transit south of the Fraser
- New bus service in Vancouver, Surrey, and North Vancouver, as well as B-Lines in Richmond and Surrey
- Addition of new buses and SkyTrain cars to increase frequency and capacity
In 2017, ridership was over 407 million boardings, a 5.7% increase over 2016 and the largest growth of any major city in Canada and the United States.
Get more 604, delivered to your inbox
Plan your next night out, enter contests, and stay connected.