Some British Columbians could be smiling a little brighter thanks to $96,000 for dental programs for low-income children and adults this year, announced Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation Minister Don McRae.
McRae made the announcement at Vancouver’s Strathcona Community Dental Clinic, one of 19 clinics receiving $4,000 each, for a total of $76,000. He took to the dental chair to stress the importance of brushing, flossing and regular dental exams during National Oral Health Month in April.
The remaining $20,000 is going directly to the British Columbia Dental Association’s Save a Smile Program that provides urgent dental care to the children of low-income families without public or private dental plan coverage throughout B.C. The association works with public health dental staff who screen eligible families to allocate available funds.
“Maintaining dental health is so important to the overall health of children and adults alike. With that in mind, I’m really pleased we’re able to make this extra contribution that will benefit children from low-income families who have urgent dental needs, as well as to dental clinics that provide care to British Columbians from vulnerable populations.” – Don McRae
The majority of the funding will help community dental clinics deliver dental care to vulnerable populations, including children, seniors, First Nations, people with disabilities, people experiencing homelessness and people receiving income and disability assistance.
The following not-for-profit clinics will benefit from the $4,000 funding per clinic:
Metro Vancouver/Fraser Valley:
- Abbotsford Food Bank Dental Clinic
- Downtown Eastside Dental Clinic (Vancouver)
- KEYS Dental Clinic (Surrey)
- Mid Main Community Health Centre (Vancouver)
- Pacific Oral Health Society (Surrey)
- Peace Arch Free Dental Clinic (White Rock)
- Portland Community Dental Clinic (Vancouver)
- REACH Community Health Centre (Vancouver)
- Strathcona Community Dental Clinic (Vancouver)
- Tri-City Dental Aid Clinic (Port Coquitlam)
- Salvation Army Mouth Minders Dental Clinic (Cranbrook)
- Emergency Dental Outreach Clinic (Prince George)
- Community Dental Access Clinic (Vernon)
- Gospel Mission Dental Clinic (Kelowna)
- Henning Emergency Clinic of Kindness (Penticton)
- Living Waters Dental Clinic (Salmon Arm)
- New Life Mission Dental Clinic (Kamloops)
- CODE Dental Clinic (Nanaimo)
- Cool Aid Community Health Centre (Victoria)