Summer and nice weather means the return of free outdoor movies under the night sky.
After a smaller season last year, these popular summer evening events came back in full swing all across Metro Vancouver.
Although it started off in July, there are plenty to take advantage of this August and September. So pick a movie, mark your calendar, and get ready to bring your comfiest blankets and FM radio for these family fun events.
For the month of August, Burnaby is hosting a number of outdoor events. The first is their Summer Stages series, which features free live concert at Civic Square, Edmonds Park and Confederation Park all throughout August. For more information, you can visit their website.
And their second is the Summer Cinemas, where a movie will be played at Civic Square on Friday evenings at 8:30pm. This is an in person event where guests can bring a blanket or chair, some movie snacks and enjoy the show.
- Friday, August 6 – Abominable
- Friday, August 13 – Angry Birds 2: The Movie
- Friday, August 20 – The Secret Life of Pets 2
- Friday, August 27 – Despicable Me 3
- Friday, September 3 – Trolls World Tour
Location: Civic Square, 6100 Willingdon Ave, Burnaby
The Drive-In Movie experiences start at approximately 9:00 pm and has a 50 vehicle limit. You can reserve a spot online.
- Wednesday August 4: Bohemian Rhapsody
- Wednesday August 18: Goonies.
Location: City Hall back parking lot – 511 Royal Ave, New Westminster
The Outdoor Movies experience starts at approximately 7:30 pm. This event is in person, and guests can bring their own chairs and blankets. You can also reserve a spot online.
- Wednesday September 1: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Wednesday September 15: Ferdinand
Location: Queen’s Park Stadium Field – 3rd Ave, New Westminster
This Drive-In Movie experience is taking place all of August into September, and it will start at sundown. Arrive early as spots are on a first come first serve basis.
- Thursday, August 5: Star Wars Rise of Skywalker
- Thursday, August 12: Avengers Endgame
- Thursday, August 19: Raya & The Last Dragon
- Thursday, August 26: National Treasure
- Thursday, September 2: Knives Out
- Thursday, September 9: Jumanji
- Thursday, September 16: Mulan
Location: Lansdowne Centre, 5300 No 3 Road, Richmond
Unlike previous years, the Movies Under the Stars events will not be taking place at Holland Park. Instead, the event will be hosted at the former Grosvenor Road school site.
In addition to that, the biggest change this year is that this is a drive-in only event. No walk-ins are allowed, and you must register in advanced. This is to limit the number of people in the space to ensure social distancing. Entry starts at 7:45 p.m., and screening will start at dusk.
- Saturday August 21: Toy Story 4
Location: Former Grosvenor Road school site – 13655 Grosvenor Road, at Whalley Boulevard, Surrey
Vancouver Civic Theatres is kicking off September by bringing back its free outdoor movie series. Taking place at just outside Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver, this is an in person event and guests can bring their own chairs and blankets.
The movie will start at dusk and seats will be at a first come first serve basis.
- Wednesday September 1: Trolls World Tour
- Wednesday September 8: Jumanji: The Next Level
- Wednesday September 22: Spider-Man: Far From Home
- Wednesday September 29: Pitch Perfect
Location: Outside Queen Elizabeth Theatre – 630 Hamilton Street, Vancouver
The event is free, however there is a request to make an online donation of $20 per vehicle. The gates open at 7:30pm and the movie will start at around 9:30pm. There will be a limit of 75 spots. You can reserve a spot online.
- Friday August 6: Jaws
Location: Semiahmoo Park – 15782 Marine Drive, White Rock.
Please note that smoking and alcohol is not permitted as these are family-friendly events.
Stay tuned on what’s happening in Metro Vancouver, check out our Things To Do Section.
Get more 604, delivered to your inbox
Plan your next night out, enter contests, and stay connected.