1. Don’t sweat the small stuff
Much of the time we get stressed and worked up over “stuff” that in the grand scheme of things really doesn’t matter. When we allow ourselves get too caught up in it we ruin our perspective and don’t take time to enjoy the moment.
2. Life can be unpredictable and throw you some curves.
Just say “never” and see what happens! To avoid the jolt when life’s surprises come your way, be prepared by being open-minded and maintain the positive mindset that welcomes the life lessons offered.
3. People are more important than things.
Relationships are more important than any material goods you may acquire on the road to success. Without the love and support of family and friends in life, material goods are not of much use. Setting your values and priorities can help you establish what’s important.
4. Nobody else can make you happy.
Your happiness and state of mind are your responsibility. It’s up to each of us to know what it takes to be balanced and happy. Our relationships enhance our lives and make them richer, but they do not “make” us happy. We do.
5. Character and integrity count.
It’s important to be a person of honor. Your good word and deeds inspire trust and confidence from family, friends and employers. Be the kind of person others are proud to know.
6. Forgive yourself, your friends and your enemies.
We are all only too human. All of us slip sometimes and make mistakes. Holding grudges and past hurts only serves to prevent us from enjoying life to the fullest.
7. A good joke can be better than any pill.
Take time to laugh each day. Humor really is good medicine.
8. It’s okay to fail. Everyone has failed at one time or another.
Failure is a great life teacher. It teaches us humility and how to correct our course of action. Thomas Edison had a great attitude towards failure. He said, “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” See article: Overcoming fear of Failure
9. Learn from the mistakes of others.
There’s an old Zen proverb that states: “It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.”
10. Don’t be afraid to show and tell others you love them.
Life is short, so learn to give and receive love. Love and be loved.
11. Live so that there is only standing room at your funeral.
Be the best spouse, parent, friend, boss or worker that you can be so that you can leave the world a better place than you found it.