The Surrey Night Market made its debut on Saturday July 5th on the Cloverdale Exhibition Grounds. According to organizers, the weekly event is scheduled to feature 100 vendors with 60-70 of them serving food and the remaining selling retail items.
On it’s opening night, the Surrey Night Market attracted between 7,000 – 8,000 people and 3,000 within the first hour which was far more than organizers were prepared for.
Surrey Night Market Review
– The average wait to get into the night market was 45 minutes. Aside from the large unexpected turnout, there were only two people working the gates which led to the long line up all night.
– Lack of vendors. After visiting the Richmond night markets you expect large rows of vendors, this wasn’t the case here. Variety was also lacking. There was only 1-2 vendors catering to kids, and just 2 vendors for electronic gadgets.
– Food vendors ran out of food. This isn’t a big flaw as food vendors probably weren’t expecting the large turnout, however, the average wait to get food at the more popular vendors was at least 10 to 15 minutes.
– Bathrooms are outside the gated night market area. This was a little irritating for some people who had to literally walk out of the gated area, get a stamp and walk 20 feet to the bathroom and then come back in.
– A lot of food vendors. If you’re looking for a night market snack, you’re sure to find something here.
– It was just the first day. If more vendors can come on board and offer hot products, the market can really grow and become a big attraction.
– With 8,000 people on the first day, the potential is there.
Surrey Night Market Photos:
The Surrey Night Market will run Friday and Saturday evenings from 6:00pm to 11:00pm until August 30th. General admission will be $2 for adults, and free for children and seniors. Parking is free.