The all new Steveston Heritage Experience tour takes you back 104 years to where it all began for Richmond.
The four hour interactive tour highlights the good, the bad, and the ugly of what it was like to live and work on the banks of the Fraser River. As a result, tour guides don’t shy away from the truth and deliver an authentic experience.
Led by John Thomas, a Steveston fisherman from 1914, the tour paints eye-opening stories of yesteryear while stepping through four celebrated historic attractions:
- The Britannia Shipyards National Historic Site – Visitors step back in time as they tour the community of boatyards, canneries, residences and stores rom a time when fishing and boatbuilding were flourishing industries on the Fraser River.
- Steveston Interurban Tram – Learn about Tram Car 1220, one of only seven British Columbia Electric Rail operated trams left. Tram Car 1220 tells the story of Richmond’s transportation heritage and how one rail line helped develop the City of Richmond we know today.
- Steveston Museum – Housed inside Steveston’s first bank and adjacent to the Japanese Fisherman’s Benevolent Society Building, visitors will learn more about the Nikkei history in Steveston.
- Gulf of Georgia National Historic Site – The tour ends at the Gulf of Georgia Cannery, where visitors will enjoy a guided tour of the historic cannery and learn how the once-thriving fishing industry lured people from vast cultural backgrounds to Canada’s west coast in the late 1800s
One of the neatest parts of the tour is that each of the locations is paired with a culinary tasting. The snacks help you travel back in time and taste what life was like for a local when Steveston was the salmon capital of the world.
Thanks to Tourism Richmond, 604 Now has two tickets to giveaway to the Steveston Heritage Experience Tour happening on October 6 at 12pm. To enter, simply follow the instructions below.
Please note, you must be 19+ to be eligible to attend the tour.
Steveston Heritage Experience Contest
To enter, contestants MUST complete 2 of the following 4 steps below:
1. Follow 604 Now on Twitter: @604Now & tweet the following:
Win a pair of tickets to the brand new Steveston Heritage Experience tour via @VisitRichmondBC & @604Now ($160 value). http://bit.ly/2IyziKW RT and follow to enter! #RichmondBC
2. ‘Like’ 604 Now on Facebook
3. Sign up for the 604 Now newsletter below (or click here)
4. ‘Follow’ 604 Now on Instagram
Contest ends Thursday, October 4 at 2:00 pm (PST). One winner will be drawn at random. Good luck to everyone who enters!
Get more 604, delivered to your inbox
Plan your next night out, enter contests, and stay connected.