Majority Of Canadians Want To Remove Trump’s Name From Towers

News
Vancouver Woman Calls To Boycott Trump Tower After Anti-Muslim Remarks - 70% Of BC Believes Donald Trump Will Be Bad For Canada, If Elected

Majority of Canadians are still furious about Donald Trump’s anti-Muslim comments from last week, including local Vancouverites and Mayor Gregor Robertson.

Angus Reid revealed statistics from a new poll on Friday morning, which declared 56 per cent of Canadians surveyed believe that Trump’s name should be removed from the Vancouver tower, and the one in Toronto.

The key findings of the survey include:

  • Two-thirds of Canadians (67%) disagree with Trump’s statement calling for a “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States,” including nearly half (49%) who disagree “strongly”
  • Almost the same two-thirds proportion (63%) say Trump’s statement is “bad for society” because it encourages fear and hatred of Muslims. The rest (37%) take the opposite view, saying Trump is good for society because he’s bringing “politically incorrect” topics into public discourse
  • Regardless of how they feel about Trump himself, Canadians overwhelmingly see his campaign as receiving too much attention (74% say this)

When poll opinions were broken down, Angus Reid found an interesting split between men and women. 63 per cent of women believe the name should go, compared to only 49 per cent of the men polled across Canada.

When broken down further, the poll found that majority of men who earn over $100,000 a year believe the Trump name should stay on both towers.

On December 16, 604 Now conducted a Twitter poll, asking followers if they believed the Trump Tower in Vancouver should be renamed. Out of 155 votes, 77% voted yes.

What side of the fence are you on for this debate? Do you think the Vancouver Mayor’s request to rename the downtown building will be successful? Let us know in the comments below!

Log in or create an account to save content