Hyundai is the first to bring a new innovation to Canada – the Hyundai Tucson FCEV. A fuel cell electric vehicle that is spacious, extremely quiet, super smooth on the road, and fully fueled by hydrogen. That’s right, the only emissions are pure water vapour – no gas or diesel.
This FCEV works as an electrochemical process that combines hydrogen from the tank with oxygen form the air in the fuel cell stack. The result is electricity that powers the vehicle and charges the onboard battery, and pure water vapour as exhaust. On just one tank, you can travel over 400km. Unlike other electric vehicles, this hydrogen fuelled vehicle takes less than 5 minutes to refuel.
604 Now was fortunate enough to test the Hyundai Tucson FCEV for a week and experience the unique vehicles hands-on.
Although a spacious vehicle that seats five, we found that it comfortably seats four. To our surprise, the vehicle was a lot quicker than we expected, especially compared to vehicles fueled by gas. The silence of the vehicle was also a delightful experience. The touch screen navigation system with a rear view camera was also very user friendly, and allows you to connect your music through the aux cord, Bluetooth, or simply enjoy the many stations the satellite radio has to offer.
The vehicle is only available for lease at this time, for approximately $529 per month. This is partly due to the low infrastructure (only one fuel station), price of filling up a tank, and high maintenance costs. There is currently only one fuel station across metro Vancouver, which is located in Surrey; therefore, this vehicle lease would best suit someone living in or nearby Surrey.
The best part about the lease is that you don’t have to worry about any of these costs – maintenance and fuel costs are included in the lease price and covered by the life of the lease.
Key specs about the Hyundai Tucson:
- Hyundai is the first automotive manufacturer to offer Fuel Cell Electric vehicles to Canadians
- Can travel over 400km on one tank
- Takes less than 5 minutes to refuel
- Zero emissions – only pure water vapour is emitted as exhaust
- Electric vehicle that converts kinetic energy into electricity
- Currently the Hyundai Tucson is only available for lease, the key local area that Hyundai is currently targeting is Surrey and/or nearby cities as the refueling station is located in Surrey
- Extremely quiet
- Quick, and super smooth on the road
- The best part: maintenance and fuel are fully covered during the life of the lease!
Visit http://www.hyundaihydrogen.ca for more information.