You don’t need to head to Quebec for an authentic winter carnival, as B.C. has its very own in Vernon.
The mostly-outdoor event is happening next month over 10 days and there’s lots to do. That’s especially so, given the event is celebrating its 60th anniversary.
The carnival originally began under its current name in the ’60’s and has grown significantly over the years, even gaining mascot “Jopo” in 1966.
But if you don’t like Jopo, visitors will also get a chance to meet Vernon’s own Bonhomme de Neige.
Here are some of this year’s highlights:
- BC Snow Sculpture Competition This event includes B.C. artists who create amazing sculptures for everyone to view. When: Starting Friday, February 7.
Brian Rouble puts some finishing touches on "Mutiny".
- BeerCan Beiner Join this evening 5 km ski race to get some exercise and then reward yourself at one of the three craft beer stops along the way. When: Friday, February 7.
- Vernon Winter Carnival Parade The annual parade’s theme is “Carnival Remembers the 60’s,” so retro costumes are encouraged. When: Saturday, February 8.
- Irish Pub Night Enjoy a night of live music with Celtic fusion band Cod Gone Wild for something a little different. When: Saturday, February 8.
- Arrest The Best You can arrange to have a friend or coworker “arrested,” and the jail comes to you. You set the bail and it’s up to that person to collect donations for their freedom. All funds raised go to support the Vernon Winter Carnival Society. When: Starting Monday, February 10-14.
There is so much more to choose from for both kids and adults. And many of the events are free!
The Hot Air Balloon Festival however, has been cancelled due to lack of donations.
You can get tickets for events through the website.
If you liked this story, check out the Vancouver Aquarium’s Sealed With a Fish event. Or check out these 3 sustainable travel trends to help you travel guilt-free.
For more B.C. events, check out our Events page.
Vernon Winter Carnival 2020
Location: Vernon, B.C.
Date: Friday February 7th, 2020 - Thursday January 16th, 2020