An authentic and diverse cultural experience is coming to Burnaby this Labour Day Weekend, with over 11,000 people expected to attend!
The 6th annual Nikkei Matsuri, one of the largest Japanese festivals in Canada, takes over the Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre.
On Saturday, September 1st and Sunday, September 2nd, this family-friendly two-day festival will have something for everyone, and aims to showcase the pride of Japanese culture here in Canada through games, fashion, food and daily performances.
Kids can enter the Game Zone and take part in games from mini-putt to ring toss! The Matsuri Marketplace will have a diverse lineup of vendors, which include:
- Beauty Secrets of Japan
- Coconama Chocolates
- Mikari Decor
- Shinobu’s Japanese Fabric Creations
- Siamural Apparel
- Ame Toy
- Sasaki Art
- Art Cards by Valerie
When you get hungry, sink your teeth into one of the numerous food vendors and food trucks.
- Benkei Ramen (Japanese Ramen)
- Suzuya (Taiyaki)
- Hatchan Takoyaki (Tako-yaki)
- Okonomiyaki House (Okonomi-yaki, Yakisoba, Ika-yaki)
- Potato-San (Deep-fried Spiral Potatoes with various Japanese-style toppings)
- Crepe Sasuke (Japanese-style crepes with ice cream)
- Chicco Cafe (Soda Floats, Ice Cream, Rice Burgers, Gyoza)
- Ichiyo’s Matcha Bar (Matcha Affogato, Matcha Macchiato, Matcha Frappe, Usucha, Koicha)
Three popular food trucks are back once again, which are:
- Mogu (Sweet & Spicy Chicken Karaage, Ebi-katsu Sandwich, Pork-miso Katsu)
- JAPADOG (Japanese-style hot dogs with unique toppings)
- Teriyaki Boys (Teriyaki Chicken Don, Teriyaki Beef Don, Teriyaki Tofu Don, Ika-Yaki)
Popcorn, cotton candy, shaved ice, coffee and tea, and cold beverages can be found inside the Game Zone. Not to mention, adults can also relax at the outdoor beer garden that’ll have beer, wine and sake for sale.
Additional Nikkei Matsuri Activities
The Matsuri Star Talent Search will take place at the festival and gives young and aspiring minds the platform to showcase their unique talent. You can find all the audition rules here.
Guests can also check out martial art demonstrations, a tea ceremony, or attend one of the many workshops, which will offer balloon-twisting, button-making, and even Hello Kitty pictures!
Furthermore, Nikkei Matsuri’s ever-popular Wayfinding Mascots are also coming back and are excited to create more memories with you at this year’s Matsuri!
Activities that take place in the Garden are free to all attendees. A $3 admission fee will be collected at the entrance of the building for attendees wishing to partake in the Game Zone, Matsuri Marketplace, special workshops and main stage performances (all indoor activities). Children under the age of 5 are free all weekend. A family of 4 is $10.
Nikkei Matsuri Burnaby 2018
Location: Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre - 6688 Southoaks Crescent, Burnaby
Admission: Free - $10
Date: Saturday September 1st, 2018 - Sunday September 2nd, 2018