The 6th annual Nikkei Matsuri, one of the largest Japanese festivals in Canada, takes over the Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre this Labour Day long weekend.
On Saturday, August 31st and Sunday, September 1st, this family-friendly two-day festival will have something for everyone, and aims to showcase the pride of Japanese culture here in Canada through games, fashion, food and daily performances.
Kids can also enter the Game Zone and take part in games from mini-putt to ring toss!
When you get hungry, sink your teeth into one of the numerous food vendors and food trucks.
- Benkei Ramen (Japanese Ramen)
- Hatchan Takoyaki (Takoyaki)
- Potato-San (Deep-fried Spiral Potatoes with various Japanese-style toppings)
- Jeggs (Okonomi-yaki)
- Japanese Crepe Sasuke
- chiyo’s Matcha Bar (Matcha Affogato, Matcha Macchiato, Matcha Frappe, Usucha, Koicha)
- Teppan Yaro (Pork Gyoza, Beef Rice Burger, Cream Soda, Souffle Pancake)
- Cheese Corn Dog (Cheese Corn Dog, Oden, Yaki-soba)
- Suzuya (Tai-yaki)
In addition, three popular food trucks are back once again, which are:
- JAPADOG (Japanese-style hot dogs with unique toppings)
- Teriyaki Boys (Teriyaki Chicken Don, Teriyaki Beef Don, Teriyaki Tofu Don, Ika-Yaki)
- Wakwak Burger (Teriyaki Burger, Okonomi Burger, Chicken Cutlet Burger, Fried Potato)
Popcorn, cotton candy, shaved ice, coffee and tea, and cold beverages can be found inside the Game Zone. Not to mention, adults can also relax at the outdoor beer garden that’ll have beer, wine and sake for sale.
Nikkei Matsuri Talent Search
The Matsuri Star Talent Search is also taking place at the festival and gives young and aspiring minds the platform to showcase their unique talent.
Activities that take place in the Garden are free to all attendees. A $4 admission fee will be collected at the entrance of the building for attendees wishing to partake in the Game Zone, Matsuri Marketplace, special workshops and main stage performances (all indoor activities). Children under the age of 5 are free all weekend. A family of 4 is $14.
Additional details will be revealed closer to the event date.
Nikkei Matsuri Burnaby 2019
Location: Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre - 6688 Southoaks Crescent, Burnaby
Admission: Free - $14
Time: 11:00 a.m. (Saturday); 1:00 p.m. (Sunday)
Date: Saturday August 31st, 2019 - Sunday September 1st, 2019