The 7th annual Indian Summer Festival returns from Thursday, July 6th, 2017 – Saturday, July 15th.
The 10 day festival has a whole lineup in store for this year’s theme: ‘Tales of War and Peace”.
Grammy Award-winning musicians, oral storytellers, hip-hop artists and international visionaries will collaborate at this year’s festival held at venues across the city.
“We approach our 7th year with more distinct and varied voices than ever before,” shared Sirish Rao, Indian Summer Festival Artistic Director.
Not to mention, event highlights include:
- Indian Summer Festival Opening Gala – Chef Vikram Vij curates a delectable feast. Featuring restaurants such as Vij’s, Café Medina, Bauhaus, Blue Water Café. Special guest Tayybeh, are a collective of Syrian women cooking up traditional dishes from their hometowns will.
- Here Is Where We Meet – Two Grammy Award-winning giants come together in a rare concert at the Orpheum:
- I See The Promised Land – A literary blues-based performance of the life of Dr. Martin Luther King by griot Arthur Flowers, who takes us back to a time when the storyteller was singer, satirist, and magician.
- Graphically Speaking – Indian writer Raghu Karnad joins two creative minds to explore the role of the graphic novel in today’s world.
- 5×15 – The ever-popular series returns for its fourth edition in Canada, featuring an all-star lineup. It includes writer and former Chilean revolutionary Carmen Rodriguez, Ottawa-based comedian Kalyani Pandya, and Pakistani-British novelist Kamila Shamsie.
- A special series of free workshops includes projects led by well-known indigenous Indian artist Bhajju Shyam. Equally important, Shyam is the festival’s artist-in-residence.
In addition, the festival also features a rare performance of a classical Hindustani morning raga by celebrated sitarist Mohamed Assani.
An evening with two-time Giller Prize winning author MG Vassanji, one of Canada’s most renowned writers.
Established in 2011, Indian Summer Festival is a multi-disciplinary arts festival that showcase some of Canada’s brightest artists.
Location: Various venues
Admission: $18 - $100
Time: varies by date - varies by date
Date: Thursday July 6th, 2017 - Saturday July 15th, 2017